9.02.2011

Stuffed Zucchini Boats

Since Aubrey has been born I really haven't been cooking or baking much so I set a goal for myself.  I am going to make 2 new recipes a week and get them posted on here.  I have so many new recipes laying around and this will help me get through them and weed out the good and bad ones!

Another use for the abundance of zucchini everyone seems to have this summer!  I was hesitant at first with this recipe but figured I'd give it a try at least once.  I'm really glad I made this one.  It's almost like a take on stuffed peppers, which are one of our favorite meals!

Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Ingredients:
2 - 6 inch zucchinis or 1 - 12 inch
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 c. chopped onion
3 cloves minced garlic
1/2 c. chopped mushrooms Neither of us like mushrooms so I left these out
1 lb. ground turkey or turkey sausage
2 Tbsp. dry white wine
2-3 tomatoes, seeded and diced
3 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
1 tsp. minced fresh rosemary
3/4 c. shredded parmesan cheese
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper


Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the insides, leaving the shell about 1/4 inch thick. Reserve half of the insides.

In a skillet on medium-high heat, heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Saute the onion and garlic until tender, about 4-5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and zucchini insides and saute another 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.

Heat the remaining 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a skillet on medium-high heat and crumble the turkey and cook until lightly browned on all sides. Stir in the cooked onion and mushroom mixture. Add the wine to the pan along with the tomatoes, basil, and rosemary. Cook for 1 more minute, then drain excess fat and remove from the heat.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Once the turkey mixture has cooled a bit, mix in the parmesan, egg, salt, and pepper. Fill the zucchini shells with the mixture. Fill a baking dish with 1/4 inch water and place the filled zucchini shells in the pan. Bake for 40 minutes until the turkey turns golden brown. Remove from the pan and serve immediately.

1 comment:

  1. Those look yummy! When you make stuffed peppers, do you do a tomato based filling? I have a cheese one that is so good! I will post it one the facebook page and you should try it!

    ReplyDelete